The word chilaquiles comes from the ancient Nahuatl word for “chilis and greens.” The Nahuatl language was used by the Aztecs. It originated in Central Mexico and is still spoken today in select communities. Chilaquiles are a very common food in many Mexican families, owing to a traditional legacy that has existed for hundreds of years. They came to America via “The Spanish Cook” by Encarnación Pinedo in 1898. However, this recipe did not fully appreciate or replicate the simple beauty of real chilaquiles.
Part of the beauty of chilaquiles lies in its versatility. So, the ingredients are basic, but you can add your own twists and toppings to make it your own. Again, while we’re currently home like everyone else we wanted to give you some of our most popular recipes so we can stay connected with food.
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 container of doña maria (8.25 oz)
1 can refried beans (make sure you get vegetarian/vegan)
1/2 bag tortilla chips
vegan crema (store bought is easiest)
1/8 cup cilantro
1/2 cup water (more if needed)
white vegan cheese to taste (optional)
pickled onions (optional)
- cut the tomatoes in half and roast seed side up until slightly blackened.
- Blend mole, tomatoes, peanuts and water in a high speed blender.
- Heat refried beans in a sauce pan.
- heat oil in a large skillet and pour in SOME of the mole mixture, if it’s slightly watery don’t worry it will reduce as it heats up. You just want enough in the pan to coat your portion of chips. Just do one serving at a time.
- Add chips and sauté/ until chips are fully coated. You may have to flip or use a fork to coat all the chips.
- Place a 1/4-1/2 cup of heated refried beans in the center of a large plate. Then dump your finished chilaquiles on top!
- If you’re adding optional cheese and onions finish them on top now.
- Serve HOT and quick. They will start to get soggy fast. But, they’re just as good a little soggy, maybe better.
Also, feel free to get creative and add your own toppings like VEGAN sausage, VEGAN eggs, green onions, pico or anything else your heart desires. Did you make one of our recipes at home? Be sure to tag us on social media! We can’t wait to get back to serving you soon!